Tuesday 20 March 2012

Replay analysis 20 March 2012

Replay is here

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wo56yslh2y84f9b

Ok, so this is just a catalogue of fail. It illustrates just how bad I am at the moment. My opponent was in silver league by the way, and he absolutely destroyed me (I have won TvT games against platinum ranked players not too long ago).

Let's start with the positives - the build was ok to start with. I could have added more barracks earlier, but the idea of 1 rax expanding with gas before orbital is fine. That, frankly, is the only positive I can take from the game.

Starting with the opening drop which took out two tanks in exchange for some marines, I kept losing engagements and getting further and further behind. The tragedy is that I could have cleaned up that stupid position of his by my base really early by simply attacking it on the low ground - I'd have killed both his tanks and all his bio on the low ground. I could have prevented his getting the gold up.

What, if anything, can I learn from that fiasco? Well:

1) My macro slipped really badly during the crisis management I was having to do. I need to work on that hugely - I simply was not building units fast enough. That contain should not have killed me - I should have build more units and broken out.

2) The hidden base was a stupid idea. I could easily have defended my normal third base with tanks. That lost me the game.

3) Don't try to engage a contain piecemeal - you lose lots of little battles. Better to macro up, keep the opponent at arm's length and wait for the perfect moment to strike.

4) I forgot to bind my engineering bay to a hotkey. Upgrades on the marines are key to this build.

No comments:

Post a Comment